UNIVERSAL JOINT REPLACEMENT (Sheet 4.1 of 7)
Stake marks should be on flange (D) so that
mark on flange (D) is overlapping pin (C) on
If chamfer on flange (D) is so large that
metal does not "mushroom" out over pin
when staked, replace quick-disconnect
4. Using center punch, stake pin (C) four places
equally spaced on flange (D).
5. Inspect quick-disconnect clamp (A) for cracks,
breaks, or sprung hinge. If damaged, replace
quick-disconnect clamp (A).
6. Close quick-disconnect clamp (A) and install
screw (E) finger tight.
7. Using thickness gage, check clearance
between flange (F) and flange (D). Clearance
must be 0.000 to 0.005 inch. If more than
0.005 inch, proceed to step 8.
8. Using oxy-acetylene welding equipment,
brazing alloy (Item 78, Appendix D) and
welding flux (Item 79, Appendix D), braze a
bead (G) across top of flange (F).
Using file, file bead (G) down until metal to
metal contact exists between flange (F) and
Go on to Sheet 4.2